MLB Betting Daily Preview (April 21): Keep Riding the A’s Until the Streak Ends? Can Lamet Lead the Padres Past the Brewers?
Another fruitful day of MLB betting beckons today, with 16 games on today’s schedule. What is on tap for today’s slate?
- The Minnesota Twins and San Diego Padres both look to avoid being swept today. Better run production will be key today and going forward for both teams, who have struggled over the last couple of weeks.
- The Oakland A’s look for their 11th win in a row after sweeping the Twins in a doubleheader yesterday. Are the A’s the team to beat in the AL West?
- The Tampa Bay Rays aim for their sixth win in a row as they try to complete an undefeated road trip before starting a 10-game homestand.
- One of 2020’s top pitchers makes his season debut this afternoon, as San Diego strikeout machine Dinelson Lamet takes the hill for the Padres. Play or pass on his strikeout prop today?
Wednesday, April 21 MLB Betting Schedule
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Detroit Tigers (Game 1), 2:10 pm ET: Tyler Anderson (1-2, 4.02 ERA) vs Michael Fulmer (1-0, 3.00 ERA)
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Detroit Tigers (Game 2), 6:40 pm ET: TBD vs Spencer Turnbull (2021 season debut – 4-4, 3..97 ERA in 2020)
Minnesota Twins vs Oakland A’s, 3:37 pm ET: Kenta Maeda (1-1, 3.07 ERA) vs Frankie Montas (2-1, 4.91 ERA)
Texas Rangers vs Los Angeles Angels, 4:07 pm ET: Mike Foltynewicz (0-3, 5.63 ERA) vs Jose Quintana (0-1, 16.20 ERA)
Chicago White Sox vs Cleveland Indians, ESPN+, 6:10 pm ET: TBD vs Aaron Civale (3-0, 2.18 ERA)
Toronto Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox, 7:10 pm ET: Trent Thornton (0-0, 2.35 ERA) vs Garrett Richards (0-1, 6.00 ERA)
Tampa Bay Rays vs Kansas City Royals, 8:10 pm ET: Michael Wacha (1-1, 4.20 ERA) vs Jakob Junis (1-0, 1.50 ERA)
San Francisco Giants vs Philadelphia Phillies, 1:05 pm ET: Anthony DeSclafani (1-0, 1.06 ERA) vs Zach Eflin (1-0, 3.15 ERA)
St. Louis Cardinals vs Washington Nationals, 4:05 pm ET: Carlos Martinez (0-3, 7.80 ERA) vs Max Scherzer (0-1, 2.37 ERA)
Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres, 4:10 pm ET: Adrian Houser (1-2, 3.14 ERA) vs Dinelson Lamet (2021 season debut – 3-1, 2.09 ERA in 2020)
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Cincinnati Reds, 6:40 pm ET: Merrill Kelly (1-2, 8.44 ERA) vs Tyler Mahle (1-1, 2.57 ERA)
New York Mets vs Chicago Cubs, 7:40 pm ET: David Peterson (1-1, 6.30 ERA) vs Zach Davies (1-2, 10.32 ERA)
Baltimore Orioles vs Miami Marlins, 1:10 pm ET: Bruce Zimmerman (1-1, 4.24 ERA) vs Trevor Rogers (1-1, 2.40 ERA)
Houston Astros vs Colorado Rockies, 3:10 pm ET: Jose Urquidy (0-1, 4.50 ERA) vs Austin Gomber (0-2, 3.52 ERA)
Atlanta Braves vs New York Yankees, ESPN, 6:30 pm ET: Ian Anderson (0-0, 4.70 ERA) vs Corey Kluber (0-1, 6.10 ERA)
Wednesday, April 21 Top MLB Betting Matchups
You can also find our aggregated industry MLB betting picks for these matchups and all of the day’s other MLB matchups on our MLB picks page.
We also have the latest MLB standings, complete with run line and total standings along with the usual info.
MLB betting odds as of Wednesday, April 21 at 10:45 am ET.
San Francisco Giants vs Philadelphia Phillies
Pitching Matchup: Anthony DeSclafani (1-0, 1.06 ERA) vs Zach Eflin (1-0, 3.15 ERA)
- Moneyline: Reds +108, Phillies -126
- Total: OVER 8.5 (-106), UNDER 8.5 (-114)
- Run Line: Reds +1.5 (-176), Phillies -1.5 (+146)
After taking the first two in Philly, the Giants go for the sweep this afternoon. DeSclafani’s first season with the Giants has started well, as he has posted three straight good outings. With the exception of a bad first inning against the Braves 11 days ago, Eflin has also been excellent to open the season.
Minnesota Twins vs Oakland A’s, 3:37 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Kenta Maeda (1-1, 3.07 ERA) vs Frankie Montas (2-1, 4.91 ERA)
- Moneyline: Twins -106, A’s -110
- Total: OVER 7.5 (-112), UNDER 7.5 (-108)
- Run Line: Twins -1.5 (+155), A’s +1.5 (-188)
The Twins, who have lost eight of nine, look to avert the sweep as they send their ace to the hill this afternoon. Just as important as a good outing for Maeda is the need for the bats to wake up. The Twins were shut out in yesterday’s doubleheader, and they have scored only 21 runs in their last nine games after putting up 46 in their first seven games. The Twins are certainly better than they are showing right now, but they need to start showing it.
The A’s, however, can’t do much wrong at the moment. Montas has pitched well in his last two starts after a rough opener, and he will fancy himself to keep that run going this afternoon against the struggling Twins.
Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres, 4:10 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Adrian Houser (1-2, 3.14 ERA) vs Dinelson Lamet (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
- Moneyline: Brewers +184, Padres -220
- Total: OVER 7 (-122), UNDER 7 (+100)
- Run Line: Brewers +1.5 (-137), Padres -1.5 (+114)
It would not be ideal for the Padres to be on the wrong end of a sweep prior to their upcoming four-game road series against the Dodgers, especially if that sweep involves being shut down by the Brewers in each game. That said, today is their best chance to win even if the bats are still slumbering, as Lamet makes his season debut after an outstanding 2020 season.
Atlanta Braves vs New York Yankees
Pitching Matchup: Ian Anderson (0-0, 4.70 ERA) vs Corey Kluber (0-1, 6.10 ERA)
- Moneyline: Braves +120, Yankees -142
- Total: OVER 8.5 (-118), UNDER 8.5 (-104)
- Run Line: Braves +1.5 (-154), Yankees -1.5 (+128)
Will today be a day that the Braves can get both a solid outing by a starter, a strong bullpen performance, and a good day at the plate? Those things have not often occurred in the same game thus far, including last night’s 3-1 loss, which featured their latest poor pen performance.
Kluber has allowed at least five hits and two walks and has not pitched more than 4 IP in his first three starts, so with or without Ronald Acuna, Jr. in the lineup, the Braves will be disappointed if they can’t put some runs on the board early.
Wednesday, April 21 Top MLB Betting Lines to Watch
Disclaimer: These are not MLB picks. They are notable MLB betting lines that are either intriguing or stand out as great value.
MLB Betting Sides
- Cleveland Indians ML vs Chicago White Sox: The line isn’t available yet, but the Indians are likely to be good value in this one. Civale has shown flashes over his first two MLB seasons, but this is looking like it could be a real breakout campaign for him. He has three straight quality starts and shut down the White Sox last Thursday (6 IP, five hits, one run allowed) in Cleveland’s 4-2 win in Chicago. The run line could also be great value here for Indians bettors.
MLB Betting Totals
- San Francisco Giants vs Philadelphia Phillies UNDER: The UNDER is 11-5-1 in Giants games this season, and yesterday’s win was the first time this season that they have had the over hit in a game following a win. The early success of the two starting pitchers is also worth noting here.
- Atlanta Braves vs New York Yankees 1st 5 innings OVER: There have been at least five combined runs in the first five innings in each of Kluber’s three starts, while there have been five or more combined runs in the first five innings in two of Anderson’s three starts.
MLB Betting Props
- Trevor Rogers OVER 7.5 strikeouts: In his three starts, here are Rogers’ strikeout numbers: six in 4 IP, 10 in 6 IP, and seven in 5 IP. The Orioles average ten strikeouts per game, having fanned 171 times in 17 games. If it shifts to 6.5 as it was initially, this prop is even better value. But even at 7.5, it is still fantastic value.
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
As your fantasy football draft moves through the early rounds, you must carefully consider your choices. Several apparent no-brainers come with questions and drawbacks. We take a look at some of those options.