Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Betting Preview (July 21): Midwest Rivals Jockey for Position in the NL Central
So much for the All-Star Break giving teams a chance to set their starting rotations for the second half. We are less than a week into it and it seems like there are more question marks than certainties every morning. That sucks for those of us looking to hammer early weaknesses in the MLB betting marketplace.
On a day like today though, it is easy to hone in on a classic rivalry for our Game of the Day. Chicago might be reeling but when they play the Cardinals all is right with the MLB world. They have to be feeling good about last night’s 9th inning rally to win too. Maybe that was the signal to not sell off every asset they have.
The loss was a setback for the Cardinals, who are also kind of caught in the middle in terms of roster management, though not with as many impending free agents as the Cubbies. This team should be better. The bullpen has lots of great arms and yesterday’s meltdown was tragic.
The Cardinals' schedule sets up nicely for them to make up some ground in the NL Central. After hosting the Cubs they host Arizona for some freebies before a big series hosting Cincinnati. They need to get rolling before that series starts.
MLB Betting Matchup: Chicago Cubs (47-48) vs St. Louis Cardinals (47-48), ESPN, 8:15 PM ET
- Chicago Cubs: Kyle Hendricks (12-4, 3.65 ERA)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Adan Wainwright (7-6, 3.71 ERA)
Cubs vs. Cardinals Betting Odds
- Moneyline: Chicag0 +105, St. Louis -126
- Total: OVER 8 (-115), Under 8 (-105)
- Run Line: Chicago +1.5 (-183), St. Louis -1.5 (+161)
Cubs vs. Cardinals Betting Consensus
- Moneyline: Chicago 40%, St. Louis 60%
- Total: Over 20%, Under 80%
- Run Line: Chicago 80%, St. Louis 20%
Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Betting Outlook
Which Way Do the Cubbies Go?
If the Cubs turn around their season they will point to the game last night. It is just not very often that you score six runs in the 9th inning, to win, on the road, against your rival. More likely it is just a blip and the Cubs make all the moves we are expecting them to make over the next 10 days and this is a totally different team. For now, they still have a full deck though.
3B Kris Bryant left the game last night amidst a lot of speculation, none of which has really been addressed. They said it was fatigue but why not give him a day off rather than pull him mid-game. This is just one example of why backing the Cubs is so dicey right now. It is too hard to determine who will be out there for them.
The Cardinals Look to Answer the Same Question
The Cardinals and the Cubs have the same record. This franchise has been so steady that it is hard to believe they don’t find a way into the NL Central race but if that is not the case they will look at last night’s loss as the tipping point. They do not have the expected roster churn of the Cubs. There is just a lot of talk about Andrew Miller being a piece, but he has rarely met expectations in St. Louis.
St. Louis has really struggled with the bats this season. It is a big surprise too because this is a very veteran lineup, one of the most established in the NL. That is why they were the MLB betting favorite to win the NL Central prior to the season. I thought they would be in the top five on offense for sure. Instead, they are not even averaging four runs per game. The offense has been rising across the league but this group is still struggling.
Kyle Hendricks Home vs. Away:
- Home: 6-3, 3.90 ERA, 55.1, 39 Ks, 12 BBs
- Away: 6-1, 3.40 ERA, 55.2 IP, 45 Ks, 11 BBs
Adam Wainright Home vs Away:
- Home: 4-4, 2.84 ERA, 73 IP, 69 Ks, 16 BBs
- Away: 3-2, 5.35 ERA, 38.2 IP, 37 Ks, 16 BBs
Two veteran hurlers take the hill in this matchup. It is amazing that “Waino” is still a viable MLB arm, I kind of gave up on him a couple of years ago but at home, those numbers can play. With a better offense, who knows. For Hendricks, the peripherals are never elite but he wins, or the Cubs win when he pitches. He always gives his team a chance. Wainwright has 270 innings against the Cubs over the years and a 17-13 record in 43 starts.
Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Best Bet
St. Louis Cardinals ML
Though the momentum of last night’s win could be a thing I am more inclined to lean on a pitcher who is solid at home and a team that is not looking to plunder its roster. There is just more certainty to go with on the St. Louis side.
July 21 Betting Matchups
MLB Betting Matchup: Baltimore Orioles vs. Tampa Bay Rays, Bally Sports Sun, 12:10 PM ET
- Baltimore Orioles: Alexander Wells (1-0, 3.86 ERA)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Michael Wacha (2-2, 5.14 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: San Diego Padres vs. Atlanta Braves, MLB Network, 12:20 PM ET
- San Diego Padres: Chris Paddack (5-6, 5.49 ERA)
- Atlanta Braves: Kyle Muller (1-2, 3.45 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: New York Mets vs. Cincinnati Reds, Bally Sports Ohio, 12:35 PM ET
- New York Mets: Marcus Stroman (6-8, 2.79 ERA)
- Cincinnati Reds: Jeff Hoffman (3-4, 4.61 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Kansas City Royals vs. Milwaukee Brewers, Bally Sports Wisconsin, 2:10 PM ET
- Kansas City Royals: Brad Keller (6-9, 5.97 ERA)
- Milwaukee Brewers: Eric Lauer (3-4, 3.83 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Seattle Mariners vs. Colorado Rockies, ATT Sportsnet Rocky Mountain, 3:10 PM
- Seattle Mariners: TBD
- Colorado Rockies: Austin Gomber (6-5, 3.68 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, MLB Network, 3:40 PM ET
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Max Kranick (1-1, 3.38 ERA)
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Madison Bumgarner (4-6,5.35 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: San Diego Padres vs. Atlanta Braves, MLB Network, 5:20 PM ET
- San Diego Padres: Reiss Knehr (0-0, 4.91 ERA)
- Atlanta Braves: Bryse Wilson (2-3, 5.34 ERA)
San Diego Padres vs. Atlanta Braves July 21 Matchup: Picks, Odds, Stats and More
MLB Betting Matchup: Miami Marlins vs. Washington Nationals, MASN, 7:05 PM ET
- Miami Marlins: TBD
- Washington Nationals: Erick Fedde (4-7, 5.32 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Philadelphia Phillies vs. New York Yankees, YES Network, 7:05 PM ET
- Philadelphia Phillies: TBD
- New York Yankees: TBD
MLB Betting Matchup: Boston Red Sox vs. Toronto Blue Jays, Sportsnet, 7:07 PM ET
- Boston Red Sox: Garrett Richards (5-5, 4.91 ERA)
- Toronto Blue Jays: Robbie Ray (8-4, 2.93 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers, Bally Sports Detroit, 7:10 PM ET
- Texas Rangers: Jordan Lyles (5-6, 5.20 ERA)
- Detroit Tigers: Matt Manning (1-3, 6.95 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Cleveland Indians vs. Houston Astros, Bally Sports Great Lakes, 8:10 PM ET
- Cleveland Indians: Eli Morgan (1-3, 7.86 ERA)
- Houston Astros: Lance McCullers Jr. (7-2, 2.80 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Minnesota Twins vs. Chicago White Sox, NBC Sports Chicago, 8:10 pm ET
- Minnesota Twins: Michael Pineda (3-5, 4.11 ERA)
- Chicago White Sox: Dylan Cease (7-5, 4.15 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: San Francisco Giants vs Los Angeles Dodgers, Sportsnet LA, 10:10 PM ET
- San Francisco Giants: Logan Webb (4-3, 3.54 ERA)
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Julio Urias (12-3, 3.78)
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
The Denver Broncos needed to start well this season, and they have done so by winning their first two games. Look for their good start to continue against the New York Jets, who are still trying to get going under their new regime.