Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Yankees Betting Preview (July 20): Yankees Look to Build Off of Rivalry Series Win as Phillies Visit the Bronx
Two teams looking to surge in the second half meet tonight at Yankee Stadium, as the New York Yankees host the Philadelphia Phillies in an interleague battle.
Are the Phillies the better team? That is tough to argue, but at the moment, you have to like their chances of chasing down the Mets in the NL East better than the Yankees’ chances in the AL East. The Phillies have two strong starters and a power-laden lineup, but they have to find a way to put together a run.
Both of these teams were off yesterday, which is unfortunate for the Yankees after ending the weekend with back-to-back wins over the Red Sox. The pitching led the way in their win over their nemesis, as they allowed only two runs combined.
But if the Bronx Bombers are going to contend, it will have to be the hitters that find their way. The Yankees are 10th in homers, but run-scoring beyond the dinger has been hard to come by.
Philadelphia Phillies (47-45) vs. New York Yankees (48-44), MLB Network, 7:05 PM ET
- Philadelphia Phillies: Aaron Nola (6-5, 4.53 ERA)
- New York Yankees: Domingo German (4-5, 4.72 ERA)
Phillies vs. Yankees Betting Odds
- Philadelphia Phillies -126
- New York Yankees +108
- OVER 9 (-108)
- UNDER 9 (-112)
- Philadelphia Phillies -1.5 (+125)
- New York Yankees +1.5 (-150)
Phillies vs. Yankees Betting Consensus
- 80% Philadelphia Phillies
- 20% New York Yankees
Total (at O/U 9)
- 60% OVER
- 40% UNDER
Run Line (at -/+1.5)
- 0% Philadelphia Phillies
- 100% New York Yankees
Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Yankees Betting Outlook
Can Philly Turn it Up?
The NL East appears that it might be won by default. With the Phillies healthier than they have been all season, they have a great opportunity to chase down the Mets and take the division. With their chances in mind, will they make a move in the next couple of weeks? The bullpen could especially use some help. That is not a good group, even though they tried to improve it during the offseason.
The Phillies are in pretty good form right now having taken three of four from the Miami Marlins over the weekend. This is the first start of the second half for Aaron Nola, who they might have been saving for this big road spot. I might sprinkle a little on a Phillies future to take the division. Now is the time if you haven’t already.
Same Old Story in the Bronx
The Yankees still look like a sleeping giant. Their starting pitching has held up better than expected, and their bullpen is as good as anyone’s even though closer Aroldis Chapman has the occasional meltdown. They should look to add a starter if they can, but on the mound they are alright.
Offensively, they are not so alright, even though they scored nine runs in Sunday’s win. The Yankees are just 21st in the the league in scoring this season. They hit the ball hard, but it is either over the fence or into the ground, and the latter is preventing a slow, unathletic team from being able to put together big innings. Now the fact that they are a plodding team is nothing new but how they have struggled at the plate is. DJ LeMahieu, the 2020 AL batting champion, has not had a productive season, while shortstop Gleyber Torres has become a mystery.
Aaron Nola Home vs. Away
- Home: 3-2, 3.56 ERA, 48 IP, 67 Ks, 8 BBs
- Away: 3-3, 5.40 ERA, 53.1 IP, 59 Ks, 15 BBs
Domingo German Home vs Away
- Home: 0-2, 4.89 ERA, 38.2 IP, 35 Ks, 12 BBs
- Away: 4-3, 3.95 ERA, 43.1 IP, 40 Ks, 7 BBs
Although the home/road splits might not show it there is a definite advantage for the Phillies with Nola. I love his swing-and-miss stuff and his career numbers suggest that positive regression is to be expected. German has always been just a guy for New York. He is playable when the Yankees are swinging the bats but when they aren’t there is not much to like there.
Philadelphia Phillies vs. New York Yankees July 20 Best Bet
Philadelphia Phillies ML
This one is a simple play. I like the matchup of Nola against a lineup primarily of righthanded sluggers. He might give up a homer but I still like him to have success. German is not going to implode against Philly but when he leaves the game down a few runs the Yankees will not be able to catch up. There is not too much of a premium on Philadelphia in this spot.
July 20 MLB Betting Matchups – American League
MLB Betting Matchup: Los Angeles Angels vs. Oakland A’s, MLB Network, 3:37 PM ET
- Los Angeles Angels: Jose Suarez (4-2, 2.29 ERA)
- Oakland A’s: James Kaprelian (4-3, 2.90 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Boston Red Sox vs. Toronto Blue Jays, Sportsnet, 7:07 PM ET
- Boston Red Sox: Garrett Richards (5-5, 4.91 ERA)
- Toronto Blue Jays: Thomas Hatch (2021 MLB debut)
MLB Betting Matchup: Baltimore Orioles vs. Tampa Bay Rays, YouTube TV, 7:10 PM ET
- Baltimore Orioles: John Means (4-2, 2.28 ERA)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Shana McClanahan (3-3, 4.05)
MLB Betting Matchup: Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers, Bally Sports Detroit, 7:10 PM ET
- Texas Rangers: Dane Dunning (3-6, 4.22 ERA)
- Detroit Tigers: Tarik Skubal (5-8, 4.36 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Cleveland Indians vs. Houston Astros, Bally Sports Great Lakes, 8:10 PM ET
- Cleveland Indians: Triston McKenzie (1-3, 5.47 ERA)
- Houston Astros: Luis Garcia (6-5, 3.06 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Minnesota Twins vs. Chicago White Sox, NBC Sports Chicago, 8:10 pm ET
- Minnesota Twins: Bailey Ober (1-1, 5.45 ERA)
- Chicago White Sox: Dallas Keuchel (7-3, 4.25 ERA)
July 20 MLB Betting Matchups – National League
MLB Betting Matchup: Kansas City Royals vs. Milwaukee Brewers, Bally Sports Wisconsin, 4:10 PM ET
- Kansas City Royals: Mike Minor (6-8, 5.67 ERA)
- Milwaukee Brewers: Eric Lauer (3-4, 3.83 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Miami Marlins vs. Washington Nationals, MASN, 7:05 PM ET
- Miami Marlins: Trevor Rogers (7-6, 2.31 ERA)
- Washington Nationals: Paulo Espino (2-2, 3.33 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: New York Mets vs. Cincinnati Reds, Bally Sports Ohio, 7:10 PM ET
- New York Mets: Robert Stock (0-2, 7.88 ERA)
- Cincinnati Reds: Wade Miley (7-4, 2.80 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: San Diego Padres vs Atlanta Braves, MLB Network, 7:20 pm ET
- San Diego Padres: Yu Darvish (7-3, 3.09 ERA)
- Atlanta Braves: Touki Toussaint (2021 MLB debut)
MLB Betting Matchup: Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals, ESPN, 8:15 PM ET
- Chicago Cubs: Trevor Williams (3-2, 5.51 ERA)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Johan Oviedo (0-5, 5.09 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Seattle Mariners vs Colorado Rockies, ATT Sportsnet Rocky Mountain, 8:40 PM ET
- Seattle Mariners: Marco Gonzalez (1-5, 5.88 ERA)
- Colorado Rockies: German Marquez (8-6, 3.36 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, Bally Sports Arizona, 9:40 PM ET
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Tyler Anderson (5-8, 4.35 ERA)
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Taylor Widener (1-0, 2.54 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: San Francisco Giants vs. Los Angeles Dodgers, Sportsnet LA, 10:10 PM ET
- San Francisco Giants: Alex Wood (8-3, 3.67)
- Los Angeles Dodgers: TBD
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
Houston Astros vs. Seattle Mariners Preview (July 26): Will Surging Seattle Get a Reality Check Tonight in Houston?
Look to the AL West for tonight’s top MLB betting matchup. The Astros may run away with the AL West, but the Seattle Mariners are charging up the AL wild-card standings. What is the best bet for their series opener tonight?