With several teams jostling for the top four positions in the Premier League, today’s Tottenham vs Liverpool match is one that neither side can afford to lose.
Liverpool have dominated Tottenham in recent years, but they make the trip to North London in their worst run of form in some time. The reigning champions are currently seven points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City and need to win today in order to stop their wretched run and not lose any more ground.
Meanwhile for the hosts, a win would be a big one for their own title and top four hopes. It would also be a welcome victory over an opponent whom they have had terrible luck against. That includes their most recent meeting in October, which Liverpool won with a late Roberto Firmino goal.
Despite their current run of form, all of the top online sportsbooks see Liverpool as favorites in this matchup. Will they show that faith is warranted and stop their skid, or will Spurs pile more misery on the champions?
Tottenham vs Liverpool Betting Odds and Information
Matchup: Tottenham (9W-6D-3L, 33 points, 6th in the English Premier League) vs Liverpool (9W-7D-3L, 34 points, 5th in the English Premier League)
- Date: Thursday, January 28, 2021
- Time: 3:00 pm ET
- Location: Tottenham, London, England (Tottenham Hotspur Stadium)
- TV: NBCSN
- Moneyline: Tottenham +230, Draw +260, Liverpool +115
- Total: OVER 2.5 goals (-142), UNDER 2.5 goals (+116)
Odds via Fanduel as of Thursday, January 28
Tottenham Betting Preview
Spurs have at least one game in hand over the teams above them in the Premier League table, so a win today would be a huge boost for their top four hopes. They enter the match unbeaten in their last four Premier League matches, but that includes a 1-1 draw with 18th-placed Fulham in their last home match two weeks ago. This season, Spurs have four wins, three draws, and two defeats at home, scoring 14 goals and surrendering nine.
23 of Tottenham’s 33 league goals have been scored by Harry Kane (12) and Son Heung-Min (11). Kane has scored in each of their last three league matches and leads the Premier League in assists with 11.
On the injury front, the hosts are set to be without left back Sergio Reguilon today and for the next few weeks due to a muscle injury. Backup Ben Davies could also be out, so left back could be a concern today.
Liverpool Betting Preview
Their performance in Sunday’s FA Cup match at Manchester United was much better than their other recent performances. But it was not enough to get a positive result, as United took a 3-2 win to knock Liverpool out of the cup.
The focus now shifts back to the league, where Liverpool have failed to score for the last 438 minutes of play. As a result of that stunning stretch, the champions have failed to win any of their last five league fixtures, drawing three and losing to Newcastle and Burnley.
On a positive note, Mohamed Salah scored twice against Manchester United after scoring only once in six games in all competitions. Salah, who leads the Premier League with 13 goals, has six goals in eight matches against Spurs in his Liverpool career.
Tottenham vs Liverpool Betting Stats and Trends
Tottenham Recent Form
- 1/25/21: Wycombe Wanderers 1-4 Tottenham (FA Cup Fourth Round)
- 1/17/21: Sheffield United 1-3 Tottenham (Premier League)
- 1/13/21: Tottenham 1-1 Fulham (Premier League)
- 1/10/21: Marine 0-5 Tottenham (FA Cup Fourth Round)
- 1/05/21: Tottenham 2-0 Brentford (EFL Cup Semifinals)
Liverpool Recent Form
- 1/24/21: Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool (FA Cup Fourth Round)
- 1/21/21: Liverpool 0-1 Burnley (Premier League)
- 1/17/21: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United (Premier League)
- 1/8/21: Aston Villa 1-4 Liverpool (FA Cup Third Round)
- 1/4/21: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool (Premier League)
Tottenham vs Liverpool Recent Head-to-Head
- 12/16/20: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham (Premier League)
- 1/11/20: Tottenham 0-1 Liverpool (Premier League)
- 10/27/19: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham (Premier League)
- 6/1/19: Tottenham 0-2 Liverpool (UEFA Champions League Final)
- 3/31/19: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham (Premier League)
Tottenham vs Liverpool Top Betting Trend
- Spurs have not beaten Liverpool in the last seven meetings and have only one win in the last 18 meetings. The lone win was a 4-1 victory on October 22, 2017.
Tottenham vs Liverpool Betting Advice
If there was ever a time for Tottenham to end Liverpool’s dominance over them, today is the day. Will they? Liverpool’s success over the last few seasons has been predicated in part by their ability to respond when needed, but that response has yet to come.
Will that response come today? It will not. Back the hosts to take the three points. Spurs have already picked up big wins this season over Manchester United, Manchester City, and Arsenal, and they will be ready today.
- Tottenham to win (+230)
- OVER 2.5 Goals (-142)