Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Prediction, Odds, Picks: Both Teams Look to Rebound From Rough 2021 Seasons
Vanderbilt and Hawaii will kick off their college football season on Saturday night. The Vanderbilt Commodores will look to rebound from a poor 2-10. showing in 2021. The Hawaii Rainbow Warriors will also be rebounding from a 6-7 season, and missing out on a bowl game.
Hawaii has been better at home, posting a 4-2 record out on the island in 2021. The Commodores didn’t do well on the road in 2021, only winning 1 game away from their home turf in Tennessee.
Vanderbilt is a heavy favorite in the lines this weekend according to FanDuel, but they have to travel all the way out to the Pacific Ocean for the game. This will be one of their easier games, as they have to go through a gauntlet in the SEC.
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Matchup Information and Betting Odds
- Matchup: Vanderbilt Commodores (0-0, 0-0 SEC) vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (0-0, 0-0 Mountain West)
- Venue & Location: Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Date: Saturday, August 27, 2022
- Game Time: 10:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii TV Info: CBS Sports Network
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Odds
- Vanderbilt Commodores -8.5 (-110)
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors +8.5 (-110)
- Over 53.5 (-115)
- Under 53.5 (-105)
- Vanderbilt Commodores -340
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors +280
SEC Football Returns and Headlines Matchup
Even though Vanderbilt is not the powerhouse of the SEC Conference, there is still hype over the return of college football within the conference.
The Commodores are making their first ever trip to Hawaii to play the Rainbow Warriors for the first time. Hawaii will be playing an SEC team for the first time since 2008 at Florida. They haven’t defeated an SEC team at home since the 2003 season when they upset Alabama.
Hawaii is 3-9-1 all-time against the SEC, and all of those wins came on the island. They have also won their last three home Power 5 conference games, but they haven’t played a Power 5 team at home since 2019.
Vanderbilt is on the track to rebuild. After their poor showing last season, they finished dead last in the SEC East and failed to win a game within their conference. Their two wins came in back-to-back weeks by a combined 5 points against Colorado State and UCONN.
In their opener last season, Vandy fell to FCS opponent, East Tennessee State, which was an embarrassing loss for a Power 5 school. I truly think Hawaii has a chance to claim their 4th straight Power 5 win at home, as Vandy is still recovering from last year.
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Betting Trends
- Vanderbilt is 0-7 in their last 7 games
- Vanderbilt has covered the spread in 4 straight games
- Each of Vanderbilt’s last 8 season openers have gone Under the total points line
- Hawaii has plays it’s first home game against a Power 5 school since 2019
- Hawaii has won 7 straight home openers
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Prediction and Picks
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Prediction: Hawaii 24, Vanderbilt 21
Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii Best Bets: Hawaii ML (+280 at FanDuel)
With the travel to Hawaii, Vanderbilt is in for a challenge. They only won 2 games last season, and they fell to an FCS opponent. Unless something drastic changes, I see a great opportunity to bet on Hawaii.
Hawaii is a great value pick as they have not lost a home opener since 2014. At +280, it is a no-brainer to bet on the Rainbow Warriors. They will keep the game close, and be able to cover the spread at the very least.
Other NCAA College Football Stories on Betting News
- College Football Surprise Teams for the 2022 Season: Which Non-Power 5 Schools Can Crack the Top 25?
- 2022 Heisman Trophy Odds: Stroud and Young Lead the Pack
- College Football Week 0 Predictions, Picks & Odds
- 2023 College Football National Championship Odds & Favorites
- SEC Football Predictions & Odds for 2022: Are Georgia and Alabama Set for a Rematch?