Phillies vs. Braves (May 23): Will Wheeler’s woes in Atlanta continue?
After a career-best season last year saw him finish runner-up in NL Cy Young Award voting, Phillies pitcher Zack Wheeler is now showing that award-worthy form after a couple of rough April starts.
But a challenge lies ahead tonight for the Atlanta area native as he visits Truist Park to take on the defending World Series champion Braves.
Philadelphia went into last week on a high after winning road series against the Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Dodgers, but the Phils enter this week with things trending in the opposite direction after home series losses against the Padres and Dodgers.
Atlanta, meanwhile, continues to be up and down and up and down and up and down, but with their next seven games at home–four against the Phillies and three against the Marlins–they will be hoping to position themselves to head into June over the .500 mark.
Philadelphia Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves Betting Odds and Matchup Information
- Matchup: Philadelphia Phillies (19-22, 8-9 road, tied for 2nd in the NL East) vs. Atlanta Braves (19-22, 10-11 home, tied for 2nd in the NL East)
- Venue & Location: Truist Park (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Date: Monday, May 23, 2022
- Time: 7:20 p.m. Eastern Time
- How to Watch Phillies vs. Braves: MLB Network
Phillies vs. Braves Pitching Matchup
- Philadelphia Phillies: Zack Wheeler (2022: 7 starts, 2-3, 3.49 ERA)
- Atlanta Braves: Tucker Davidson (2022: 2 appearances – 1 start, 1-0, 5.87 ERA)
Phillies vs. Braves Odds
- Philadelphia Phillies -142
- Atlanta Braves +120
- OVER 8.5 (-114)
- UNDER 8.5 (-106)
- Philadelphia Phillies -1.5 (+118)
- Atlanta Braves +1.5 (-142)
History Hints at Home Horrors for Wheeler
Given that Wheeler is from the Atlanta area, he will likely have quite a few family members and friends in attendance for tonight’s game.
Unfortunately, history does not favor a warm welcome home for Wheeler.
At the beginning of his MLB career, the righty logged four starts at Turner Field, the Braves’ former home. In those four starts, he went 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA.
That success has not carried over to Truist Park, where Wheeler is 1-5 with a 5.23 ERA in seven starts. With the Phillies, he is 0-2 with a 3.38 ERA in three starts there.
By comparison, in his 14 starts either at home venues or at Turner Field, he is 7-2 with a 2.31 ERA.
His two starts at Truist Park last season were not horrible compared to a few other starts there, but the Phillies came out on the losing end in both, as was the case in his lone 2020 start there.
Trends from this season don’t favor Wheeler and the visitors as well.
Notable Betting Trends for Phillies vs. Braves
- The Braves, who lost to the Marlins on Sunday, are 14-7 following a loss.
- The Phillies, who beat the Dodgers on Sunday, are 8-10 following a win.
- Philadelphia is 1-4 as a road favorite this season.
- The Phillies are just 4-9 against fellow NL East teams this season, including 2-5 on the road.
If there is one thing to be hopeful about if you are backing Philadelphia tonight is that Wheeler is 2-0 with a 1.04 ERA in his last four starts, with all three surrendered runs coming in a road start–which the Phillies won–at Dodger Stadium eleven days ago.
Philadelphia Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves Prediction and Best Bets
Phillies vs. Braves Prediction: Braves to win
Phillies vs. Braves Best Bets: Braves ML (+120 at FanDuel)
Wheeler comes into tonight’s start on a great run, but don’t look for his recent success to result in a win tonight.
The visitors have a clear edge in the pitching matchup, but there are some places and situations that are not favorable for players and teams, and Truist Park is one for Wheeler.
Wheeler has made at least four career starts as an opposing pitcher at nine venues, and Truist Park is the only venue at which he has a losing record.
Eddie Griffin has been writing about and Betting on sports for over a decade. For more of his thoughts on sports and sports betting, you can follow him on Twitter.