Mavericks vs Jazz Betting Preview: No Mitchell, No Problem For Jazz?
Tonight’s Mavericks vs Jazz game stands to be a big test for Utah, who has been racking up the wins. Along with having to face the NBA MVP favorite, Luke Doncic, the Jazz will be without their biggest star tonight. Star guard Donovan Mitchell suffered a concussion in last night’s win over the Knicks and is now in the protocol.
With Mitchell sidelined, will the Jazz be able to win their tenth straight? Or will the struggling Mavs pick up a vital road win. Tonight’s NBA odds still see the Jazz as a slight favorite, but can they get it done?
Dallas Mavericks vs Utah Jazz Betting Odds and Information
- Matchup:Dallas Mavericks (8-9, 6-5 away, 10th in the Western Conference) vs Utah Jazz (13-4, 6-2 home, 2nd in the Western Conference)
- Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- Time: 9:00 pm ET/8:00 pm CT/7:00 pm MT
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Arena)
- TV: Fox Sports Southwest
- Spread: Mavericks +1.5 (-106), Jazz -1.5 (-114)
- Total: OVER 219.5 (-110), UNDER 219.5 (-110)
- Moneyline: Mavericks +106, Jazz -124
Odds via Fanduel as of Wednesday, January 27
Dallas Mavericks Betting Preview
The Mavs are still struggling for form as they reach the quarter mark of the season. They enter tonight having lost two in a row. Last time out, the Mavs got a triple-double from Doncic (35 points, 11 rebounds, 16 assists), but they were unable to close the game out in the fourth in a 117-113 loss to the Nuggets.
Doncic continues to be excellent, but consistent contributions from the supporting cast continue to be lacking. Beyond that, though, is the fact that the team is not performing well on the defensive end. Since a 104-93 win at Orlando on January 13, the Mavs have allowed at least 112 points in each of their last seven games. Unsurprisingly, they have lost five of the seven games in that stretch.
Utah Jazz Betting Preview
The Jazz’s winning streak appeared to be under severe threat last night, as they were down by 13 at halftime. But they outscored the Knicks 62-35 in the second half to win and win comfortably. Mitchell was only 3 of 15 shooting with nine points last night, which meant that others had to come up clutch. And that is what happened, with Royce O’Neale scoring 20 points, Mike Conley scoring 19, and Rudy Gobert scoring 18 (with 19 rebounds).
With Mitchell out tonight, Joe Ingles could see increased minutes tonight, and so could Jordan Clarkson. Also, tonight would be a fine time for Bojan Bogdanovic to break out of his slump. Bogdanovic was only 2 of 10 last night, continuing his season-long shooting struggles.
Dallas Mavericks vs Utah Jazz Betting Stats and Trends
Dallas Mavericks Stat Sheet
- PPG: 109.6 (20th in the NBA)
- FG: 45.6 percent (17th)
- 3PT: 33.1 percent (29th)
- PPG: 109.9 (11th)
- FG: 45.8 percent (15th)
- 3PT: 34.2 percent (4th)
Dallas Mavericks Recent Form (Last Five: 2-3)
- 1/25/21: Dallas Mavericks 113-117 Denver Nuggets
- 1/23/21: Dallas Mavericks 108-133 Houston Rockets
- 1/22/21: San Antonio Spurs 117-122 Dallas Mavericks
- 1/20/21: Indiana Pacers 112-124 Dallas Mavericks
- 1/18/21: Toronto Raptors 116-93 Dallas Mavericks
Utah Jazz Stat Sheet
- PPG: 112.9 (12th)
- FG: 46.4 percent (15th)
- 3PT: 39.7 percent (2nd)
- PPG: 105.4 (3rd)
- FG: 44.1 percent (2nd)
- 3PT: 35.0 percent (7th)
Utah Jazz Recent Form (Last Five: 5-0)
- 1/26/21: Utah Jazz 108-94 New York Knicks
- 1/23/21: Utah Jazz 127-108 Golden State Warriors
- 1/21/21: Utah Jazz 129-118 New Orleans Pelicans
- 1/19/21: Utah Jazz 118-102 New Orleans Pelicans
- 1/17/21: Denver Nuggets 105-109 Utah Jazz
Mavericks vs Jazz Top Betting Trend
- Clarkson had a rough night last night, shooting 5 of 16 with only 13 points. But with more minutes and more responsibility with Mitchell out, there is great value in taking him to score 15+ points in a Jazz win. That double is available for +134.
- Joe Ingles has been alternating single-digit and double-digit scoring games in this month. Last night, he scored only seven points, but he should have the shot opportunities to score more tonight. Ingles to score 10+ points a Jazz win is available for +186. For the more adventurous, an Ingles to score 15+ points/Jazz win double comes in at +500.
Dallas Mavericks vs Utah Jazz Betting Advice
Mitchell being out is certainly a big blow for the Jazz, given how well he has been playing recently. However, that just means someone else will have to step up. A big part of the winning streak has been getting contributions throughout the roster, and that breeds confidence in how they will be able to fare without their star scorer.
Back the home team to make it ten in a row.
Mavericks vs Jazz Best Bets: Jazz -1, Jordan Clarkson to score 15+ points/Jazz to win (+134), Joe Ingles to score 10+ points/Jazz to win +186