2022 NBA Play-In Tournament Odds, Format, Schedule & Teams
With the NBA regular season coming to an end, we can now officially look ahead to the first round of the playoffs, which will start on Saturday, April 16.
But before the playoff action commences, we must first find out the final four teams that will make up the 16-team first round. As was the case last year, this year’s play-in tournament will feature eight teams and six games.
2022 NBA Play-In Tournament Teams
- 7. Brooklyn Nets (44-38)
- 8. Cleveland Cavaliers (44-38)
- 9. Atlanta Hawks (43-39)
- 10. Charlotte Hornets (43-39)
- 7. Minnesota Timberwolves (46-36)
- 8. Los Angeles Clippers (42-40)
- 9. New Orleans Pelicans (36-46)
- 10. San Antonio Spurs (34-48)
On Tuesday, April 12, two NBA play-in games will take place, with the #7 seed in each conference hosting the #8 seed in each conference.
The winner of each #7 vs. #8 matchup will be #7 seeds in the first round of the playoffs and be matched up with the two #2 seeds. So, the winner of the Cavs vs. Nets matchup will move on to face the Boston Celtics, the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference, while the winner of the Clippers vs. Timberwolves matchup will book a matchup with the Memphis Grizzlies, the #2 seed in the Western Conference.
On Wednesday, two more NBA play-in games will take place, with the #9 seed in each conference hosting the #10 seed in each conference.
The loser of each matchup will be eliminated and move on to vacation season, while the winners will move on to face the losers of the #7 vs. #8 matchups on Friday. The winners of those games will be the #8 seeds and move on to face the two #1 seeds in the first round.
So, the winner of Friday’s Eastern Conference play-in game will advance to face the Miami Heat, the East’s top seed, while the winner of Friday’s Western Conference’s play-in game will have a first-round matchup with the Phoenix Suns, who are the top seed in the West.
2022 NBA Play-In Tournament Schedule and Format
Tuesday, April 12
Cleveland Cavaliers (East #8) vs. Brooklyn Nets (East #7), 7:00 p.m. ET, TNT
Los Angeles Clippers (West #8) vs. Minnesota Timberwolves (West #7), 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT
Wednesday, April 13
Charlotte Hornets (East #10) vs. Atlanta Hawks (East #9), 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN
San Antonio Spurs (West #10) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (West #9), 9:30 p.m. ESPN
Friday, April 15
Hawks/Hornets winner vs. Cavs/Nets loser, TBD, ESPN
Spurs/Pelicans winner vs. Clippers/Timberwolves loser, TBD, TNT
Given that the Nets, Cavs, Timberwolves, and Clippers are all guaranteed to have two opportunities to get in–and that the second game would be a home game–it is understandable that the NBA playoff odds favor them to be a part of the first round.
Odds to Advance from the 2022 NBA Play-In Tournament
- Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers +130
- Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers +470
- Nets, Hornets, Timberwolves, Clippers +900
- Nets, Cavs, Timberwolves, Pelicans +1000
- Brooklyn, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New Orleans +1500
- Cleveland, Atlanta, Minnesota, New Orleans +1600
If you don’t want to bet those odds, you can also bet on whether or not each individual team will reach the playoffs.
Odds to Make the 2022 NBA Playoffs
Odds are via FanDuel Sportsbook as of Monday, April 11, 2022.
- Make the Playoffs: +235
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: -300
- Make the Playoffs: -3500
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: +1200
- Make the Playoffs: +590
- Miss the Playoffs: -950
- Make the Playoffs: -215
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: +172
Los Angeles Clippers
- Make the Playoffs: -590
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: +410
- Make the Playoffs: -1250
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: +710
New Orleans Pelicans
- Make the Playoffs: +360
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: -500
San Antonio Spurs
- Make the Playoffs: +880
- Do Not Make the Playoffs: -1800
Last year was the first year of the current NBA play-in format. The Hornets and Spurs are the only team who participated in last year’s play-in tournament that will also be a part of this year’s tournament.
In 2021, the Hornets and Spurs were the two #10 seeds, and both suffered immediate elimination. The Hornets were routed 144-117 by the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, while the Spurs were edged 100-96 by the Grizzlies in Memphis.
The Boston Celtics (#2 seed in the Eastern Conference), Grizzlies (#2 seed in the Western Conference), and Golden State Warriors (#3 seed in the Western Conference) were all in the play-in tournament last year but are already set for the first round this season.
In last year’s tournament, the top seeds won in the East, as the #7 Celtics and #8 Washington Wizards advanced.
In the West, the #7 Los Angeles Lakers advanced, but the Grizzlies upset the #9 Warriors in an overtime thriller to take the West’s final playoff spot, behind a monster performance by Ja Morant, which arguably was the catalyst for his and the Grizzlies’ success this season.
The Grizzlies were the only team who won a road game in last year’s play-in tournament. Will that change this year? All four home teams are favored for Tuesday and Wednesday’s games, and the home teams are also likely be favored for the two Friday games.
2022 NBA Play-In Tournament Game Odds
All odds are via Caesars Sportsbook as of Monday, April 11, 2022.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn Nets
- Spread: Cleveland Cavaliers +8.5 (-110), Brooklyn Nets -8.5 (-110)
- Total: OVER 228.5 (-110), UNDER 228.5 (-110)
- Moneyline: Cleveland Cavaliers +320, Brooklyn Nets -420
Charlotte Hornets vs. Atlanta Hawks
- Spread: Charlotte Hornets +4.5 (-110), Atlanta Hawks -4.5 (-110)
- Total: OVER 236.5 (-110), UNDER 236.5 (-110)
- Moneyline: Charlotte Hornets +160, Atlanta Hawks -190
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Spread: Los Angeles Clippers +3 (-110), Minnesota Timberwolves -3 (-110)
- Total: OVER 230.5 (-110), UNDER 230.5 (-110)
- Moneyline: Los Angeles Clippers +130, Minnesota Timberwolves -150
San Antonio Spurs vs. New Orleans Pelicans
- Spread: San Antonio Spurs +5 (-110), New Orleans -5 (-110)
- Total: OVER 229 (-110), UNDER 229 (-110)
- Moneyline: San Antonio Spurs +170, New Orleans Pelicans -200
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
2022 Formula 1 Season Championship Odds: Favorite Verstappen takes championship lead as Leclerc denied by DNF in Spain
The 2022 Formula 1 season is only six races deep, but the race for this season’s championship alerady appears to be down to just two drivers. Last season, Red Bull driver Max Verstappen claimed his first Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship in highly controversial circumstances, with Lewis Hamilton denied what would have been a record-breaking …