Super Bowl First Score Odds: Who Will Score First in Super Bowl 57?
In football, scoring the opening points is not a guarantee of success, but no one wants to find themselves in an early hole. That is the case for any game at any level, but in a game the magnitude of the Super Bowl, the first score or a fast start is all the more important.
On February 12, the Kansas City Chiefs will meet the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 57 at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. Fans on both sides will be hoping their team scores first, but is it a good omen for the team that does?
Fans aren’t the only people who will be invested in who scores first in the Super Bowl, as there are plenty of bets that will be won or lost when the first points are put on the scoreboard.
Super Bowl 57 First Score Odds
With the matchup now set, Super Bowl first score odds for the Chiefs vs Eagles showdown are now available.
Let’s take a look at the first scoring play odds, courtesy of FanDuel.
Odds are as of Sunday, February 12, 2023.
Team to Score First
- Kansas City Chiefs -108
- Philadelphia Eagles -114
To Score First and Win
- Kansas City Chiefs +200
- Philadelphia Eagles +176
To Score First and Lose
- Kansas City Chiefs +340
- Philadelphia Eagles +360
Super Bowl 57 First Scoring Play
- Kansas City Chiefs touchdown +200
- Chiefs field goal +390
- Chiefs safety +8500
- Philadelphia Eagles touchdown +180
- Eagles field goal +400
- Eagles safety +10000
First Scoring Play for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Touchdown -220
- Field Goal +155
- Safety +5000
First Scoring Play for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Touchdown -240
- Field Goal +175
- Safety +5000
Where to Bet on Super Bowl First Score Odds
Super Bowl first score betting is very popular, so odds are widely available, including at the reputable and legal sports betting sites below.
AZ, CO, IN, IA, IL, KS, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, WV, VA
AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, CT
AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NY, PA, WV, VA
AZ, IL, LA, MD, NJ, OH, PA, MI, WV, IN, IA, TN, VA, CO
Best Super Bowl First Score Bets
So, which first scoring play bets should you consider for the upcoming Super Bowl matchup? Who is most likely to score first, and what is the first score most likely to be?
Let’s take a look at Super Bowl first score history and trends.
Super Bowl First Score History and Trends
Who Scored First in the 2022 Super Bowl?
The Rams scored first in last year’s 23-20 win over the Cincinnati Bengals, as Matthew Stafford connected with Odell Beckham Jr. for a 17-yard touchdown pass with 6:22 remaining in the first quarter.
For the 26th time, a touchdown was the first score in the Super Bowl, with passing touchdowns now accounting for 18 of those 26 touchdowns. And for the 37th time in Super Bowl history, the team that scored first went on to win the game.
Field Goals Edge Touchdowns in Recent and All-Time Super Bowl First Score History
There was only one field goal in the first Super Bowl, and it was not the first score or a meaningful score.
Kansas City Chiefs kicker Mike Mercer kicked the first field goal in Super Bowl history, trimming the deficit to 14-10 shortly before halftime and accounting for what would be the Chiefs’ final points of a 35-10 loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl I.
The first touchdown in Super Bowl history–and the first score in Super Bowl history–was a 37-yard touchdown pass from Bart Starr to wide receiver Mike McGee, which put the Packers ahead of the Chiefs with 6:04 remaining in the first quarter.
While a touchdown was the first score in Super Bowl 56, field goals have been more popular in recent years. In the last seven Super Bowls, a field goal was the first score of the game five times.
It may come as a surprise that a defensive touchdown has never been the first score. Still, it will always be worth it to toss a few bucks on the opening score being a safety or a defensive or special teams touchdown, given the low-risk, high-reward odds.
It may also come as a surprise that the first score has been a rushing touchdown so rarely.
With the Philadelphia Eagles having racked up 39 total rushing touchdowns in the regular season and playoffs this season, there’s a good chance we could see a rushing touchdown be the first score of the Super Bowl for the first time since Super Bowl LI.
Does the First Score of the Super Bowl Often Impact the Super Bowl Result?
But will scoring first bode well for the scorer?
Historically, the first team to score has an overwhelming edge in title wins. Across the first 56 Super Bowls, the team that scored first went on to win the game 37 times.
If you are betting on the moneyline, you will have more reason to feel confident if your pick opens the scoring with a touchdown rather than a field goal.
Teams who have scored a touchdown to take the first lead of the big game have gone on to win 69.2 percent of the time (18 of 26 times), while teams who went ahead with a field goal have gone on to win only 59 percent of the time (16 of 27 times).
First Score Results and History Menu
- Super Bowl First Scoring Play Results by Type
- Super Bowl First Scoring Play Results by Year
- First Scoring Play Results and Super Bowl Success
First Scoring Play Results by Type
- Touchdown: 26
- Field Goal: 27
- Safety: 3
- Passing Touchdown: 18
- Rushing Touchdown: 6
- Defensive Touchdown: 0
- Special Teams Touchdown: 2
Super Bowl First Scoring Play Results by Year
- 2022 (LVI – Rams vs. Bengals): Rams passing TD, 6:22 1st quarter
- 2021 (LV – Chiefs-Buccaneers): Chiefs FG, 5:10 1Q
- 2020 (LIV – 49ers-Chiefs): 49ers FG, 7:57 1Q
- 2019 (LIII – Patriots-Rams): Patriots FG, 10:29 2Q
- 2018 (LII – Eagles-Patriots): Eagles FG, 7:55 1Q
- 2017 (LI – Patriots-Falcons): Falcons rushing TD, 10:29 2Q
XLI to 50
- 2016 (50 – Panthers-Broncos): Broncos FG, 10:43 1Q
- 2015 (XLIX – Patriots-Seahawks): Patriots passing TD, 9:47 2Q
- 2014 (XLVIII – Seahawks-Broncos): Seahawks safety, 14:48 1Q
- 2013 (XLVII – Ravens-49ers): Ravens passing TD, 10:36 1Q
- 2012 (XLVI – Giants-Patriots): Giants safety, 8:52 1Q
- 2011 (XLV – Steelers-Packers): Packers passing TD, 3:44 1Q
- 2010 (XLIV – Saints-Colts): Colts FG, 7:29, 1Q
- 2009 (XLIII – Steelers-Cardinals): Steelers FG, 9:45 1Q
- 2008 (XLII – Giants-Patriots): Giants FG, 5:01 1Q
- 2007 (XLI – Colts-Bears): Bears kickoff return TD, 14:46 1Q
XXXI to XL
- 2006 (XL – Seahawks-Steelers): Seahawks FG, 0:22 1Q
- 2005 (XXXIX – Patriots-Eagles): Eagles passing TD, 9:55 2Q
- 2004 (XXXVIII – Panthers-Patriots): Patriots passing TD, 3:05 2Q
- 2003 (XXXVII – Raiders-Buccaneers): Raiders FG, 10:40 1Q
- 2002 (XXXVI – Rams-Patriots): Rams FG, 3:10 1Q
- 2001 (XXXV – Ravens-Giants): Ravens passing TD, 6:50 1Q
- 2000 (XXXIV – Rams-Titans): Rams FG, 3:00 1Q
- 1999 (XXXIII – Broncos-Falcons): Falcons FG, 9:35 1Q
- 1998 (XXXII – Packers-Broncos): Packers passing TD, 10:58 1Q
- 1997 (XXXI – Patriots-Packers): Packers passing TD, 11:28 1Q
XXI to XXX
- 1996 (XXX – Cowboys-Steelers): Cowboys FG, 12:05 1Q
- 1995 (XXIX – Chargers-49ers): 49ers passing TD, 13:36 1Q
- 1994 (XXVIII – Cowboys-Bills): Cowboys FG, 12:41 1Q
- 1993 (XXVII – Bills-Cowboys): Bills rushing TD, 10:00 1Q
- 1992 (XXVI – Washington-Bills): Washington FG, 13:02 2Q
- 1991 (XXV – Bills-Giants): Giants FG, 7:14 1Q
- 1990 (XXIV – 49ers-Broncos): 49ers passing TD, 10:06 1Q
- 1989 (XXIII – Bengals-49ers): 49ers FG, 3:14 1Q
- 1988 (XXII – Washington-Broncos): Broncos passing TD, 13:03 1Q
- 1987 (XXI – Broncos-Giants): Broncos FG, 10:51 1Q
XI to XX
- 1986 (XX – Bears-Patriots): Patriots FG, 13:41 1Q
- 1985 (XIX – Dolphins-49ers): Dolphins FG, 7:24 1Q
- 1984 (XVIII – Washington-Raiders): Raiders special teams TD (blocked punt recovered in end zone), 10:08 1Q
- 1983 (XVII – Dolphins-Washington): Dolphins passing TD, 8:11 1Q
- 1982 (XVI – 49ers-Bengals): 49ers rushing TD, 5:52 1Q
- 1981 (XV – Raiders-Eagles): Raiders passing TD, 8:56 1Q
- 1980 (XIV- Rams-Steelers): Steelers FG, 7:31 1Q
- 1979 (XIII – Steelers-Cowboys): Steelers passing TD, 9:47 1Q
- 1978 (XII – Cowboys-Broncos): Cowboys rushing TD, 4:29 1Q
- 1977 (XI – Raiders-Vikings): Raiders FG, 14:12 2Q
I to X
- 1976 (X – Cowboys-Steelers): Cowboys passing TD, 10:24 1Q
- 1975 (IX – Steelers-Vikings): Steelers safety, 7:11 2Q
- 1974 (VIII – Vikings-Dolphins): Dolphins rushing TD, 9:33 1Q
- 1973 (VII – Dolphins-Washington): Dolphins passing TD, 0:01 1Q
- 1972 (VI – Cowboys-Dolphins): Cowboys FG, 1:23 1Q
- 1971 (V – Colts-Cowboys): Cowboys FG, 5:32 1Q
- 1970 (IV – Vikings-Chiefs): Chiefs FG, 6:52 1Q
- 1969 (III – Jets-Colts): Jets rushing TD, 9:03 2Q
- 1968 (II – Packers-Raiders): Packers FG, 9:53 1Q
- 1967 (I – Chiefs-Packers): Packers passing TD, 6:04 1Q
How Often Has the Team That Scored First Won the Super Bowl?
- Number of Times First Team to Score Won: 37
- Number of Times First Team to Score Did Not Win: 19
- First Team to Score Scored a Touchdown and Went on to Win: 18 of 26 (Pass: 13-5, Rush: 4-2, Special Teams: 1-1)
- Kicked a Field Goal and Went on to Win: 16 of 27
- Recorded a Safety and Went on to Win: 3 of 3
- 2022 (LVI): Won
- 2021 (LV): Lost
- 2020 (LIV): Lost
- 2019 (LIII): Won
- 2018 (LII): Won
- 2017 (LI): Lost
- 2016 (50): Won
- 2015 (XLIX): Won
- 2014 (XLVIII): Won
- 2013 (XLVII): Won
- 2012 (XLVI): Won
- 2011 (XLV): Won
- 2010 (XLIV): Lost
- 2009 (XLIII): Won
- 2008 (XLII): Won
- 2007 (XLI): Lost
- 2006 (XL): Lost
- 2005 (XXXIX): Lost
- 2004 (XXXVIII): Won
- 2003 (XXXVII): Lost
- 2002 (XXXVI): Lost
- 2001 (XXXV): Won
- 2000 (XXXIV): Won
- 1999 (XXXIII): Lost
- 1998 (XXXII): Lost
- 1997 (XXXI): Won
- 1996 (XXX): Won
- 1995 (XXIX): Won
- 1994 (XXVIII): Won
- 1993 (XXVII): Lost
- 1992 (XXVI): Won
- 1991 (XV): Won
- 1990 (XXIV): Won
- 1989 (XXIII): Won
- 1988 (XXII): Lost
- 1987 (XXI): Lost
- 1986 (XX): Lost
- 1985 (XIX): Lost
- 1984 (XVIII): Won
- 1983 (XVII): Lost
- 1982 (XVI): Won
- 1981 (XV): Won
- 1980 (XIV): Won
- 1979 (XIII): Won
- 1978 (XII): Won
- 1977 (XI): Won
- 1976 (X): Lost
- 1975 (IX): Won
- 1974 (VIII): Won
- 1973 (VII): Won
- 1972 (VI): Won
- 1971 (V): Lost
- 1970 (IV): Won
- 1969 (III): Won
- 1968 (II): Won
- 1967 (I): Won
Other Super Bowl Content at Betting News
If you’d like to check out our other Super Bowl betting content, here’s a rundown of what we have put together to help you with your Super Sunday selections.
- Super Bowl Spread Odds & Results
- Super Bowl Over/Under Odds & Results
- Super Bowl Player Props Odds & Best Bets
- Super Bowl First & Anytime Touchdown Picks
- Super Bowl MVP Odds, History & Best Bets
- Top Super Bowl LVII Prop Bets
- Super Bowl Score Predictions
- National Anthem Over/Under Odds
- Halftime Show Odds
- Coin Toss Odds
- Gatorade Color Odds
- Super Bowl Cross Sport Bets
- Super Bowl Commercial Bets