Utah State vs. Alabama Week 1 Betting: Don’t Look For an Upset in Alabama’s Opener
The Alabama Crimson Tide kick off their college football season with a home game against the Utah State Aggies. These teams have met once before, but not since 2004.
The Crimson Tide are coming off of a season where they were the favorites to win the National Championship. However, their SEC rivals had different plans, and Georgia took home the title.
Utah State had a great year in 2021, winning the Mountain West Mountain Division, and advancing to the Mountain West Championship game against San Diego State. They blew out the Aztecs to win the conference, and went on to win their bowl game against Oregon State.
Both teams have decent shots to win their conference, but in this game, there is only one team that looks to have a chance. At FanDuel, Alabama is -42.5 against the Aggies at home.
Utah State vs. #1 Alabama Matchup Information and Betting Odds
- Matchup: Utah State Aggies (0-0, 0-0 Mountain West) vs. Alabama Crimson Tide (0-0, 0-0 SEC)
- Venue & Location: Bryant-Denny Stadium (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
- Date: Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022
- Game Time: 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- Where to Watch Utah State vs. Alabama: SEC Network
Utah State vs. #1 Alabama Odds
- Utah State Aggies +42.5 (-118)
- Alabama Crimson Tide -42.5 (-104)
- Over 62.5 (-105)
- Under 62.5 (-115)
- Utah State Aggies Odds Unavailable
- Alabama Crimson Tide Odds Unavailable
Can Alabama Make Another Title Run?
The Crimson Tide have been a powerhouse in college football for a while now. Since the 2009 season, they have been to 9 National Championship games, winning 6 titles in that span.
They almost made it 10 titles in that time last season, but could not perform to their standards in the National Championship game against Georgia.
They begin 2022 back in the #1 spot, and this will be their second straight year as the preseason #1 team in the country. Their non-conference schedule looks easy as can be, considering in their toughest non-conference game they are favored by over 17 points against Texas on the road.
Alabama will not face Georgia during the regular season. Instead they will host #6 Texas A&M, who pulled off the upset last season when Alabama was the top-ranked team in football.
The Crimson Tide are much-improved from last season, as they have a lot of their starters back from last season. They have the best chance in college football to go undefeated, and with one of the easier schedules in the SEC, I can see that happening.
Their defense should feast against a Utah State team that struggled to keep UCONN off the scoreboard last week. The Aggies only won 31-20 in a game where they were heavily favored at home.
Alabama has an easy road to start, and I would expect most of their starters to rest the second half if they are up big. This will give them extra juice for their game next week at Texas.
Utah State vs. #1 Alabama Betting Trends
- Utah State is 7-0 in their last 7 games on the road straight up
- Utah State is 0-8 in their last 8 games against SEC opponents
- Alabama is 18-2 straight up in their last 20 games
- Alabama is 20-0 straight up in their last 20 games played in September
Utah State vs. #1 Alabama Prediction and Picks
Utah State vs. Alabama Prediction: Alabama 56, Utah State 17
Utah State vs. Alabama Best Bets: Over 62.5 total points (-105 at FanDuel)
Alabama will be scoring early and often against the Utah State defense. If UCONN can put up 20 points, how many can Alabama put up?
This leads me to believe the Over is the best play, as even if Alabama’s defense shuts down the Aggies early, points late in the game against backups should push the total towards the right direction.
At -105, it is not a bad bet at all, considering Alabama could put up that many points alone, and Utah State should be a good enough team to not get shut out. However, if a shutout does happen, Alabama will be taking care of business themselves.
Other NCAA College Football Stories on Betting News
- College Football Week 1 Predictions, Picks & Odds
- 2022 Big Ten Football Predictions and Title Odds: Will Ohio State Rebound and Regain Dominance?
- 2023 College Football National Championship Odds & Favorites
- Penn State vs. Purdue Prediction, Odds & Picks
- Central Michigan vs. Oklahoma State Prediction & Odds
- SEC Football Predictions & Odds for 2022: Are Georgia and Alabama Set for a Rematch?