Will Rogers Downs: Tuesday April 5, 2022 Analysis
Horse racing means many things to many people. For some it is quality time spent with a father figure when they were kids. For others it is the horse that got them into the game. Will Rogers Downs is one of smaller tracks in the country. However, in 2020 it played a major role in the lives of horseplayers at the start of the Pandemic.
Only Game In Town
In March of 2020 the world stopped as the world learned of the COVID-19 virus that was rapidly spreading worldwide. In an instant the world changed and everyone was confined to their homes as lockdowns rolled throughout the country and the world at large.
As many businesses shuddered their doors, so too did many racetracks that were kicking off their spring meets. The virus even caused the Kentucky Derby to move from May to September.
Not everyone closed down however. Three tracks found ways to stay open while the world closed around them. Will Rogers Downs, Fonner Park, and Oaklawn Park all continued racing through the first wave of the virus in the United States.
With every collegiate and professional sports on hold and restaurants, movie theaters, and comedy clubs closed, people needed entertainment. Cue Will Rogers and the pandemic boom of horse racing.
Record Handles at Will Rogers Downs
In 2019 Will Rogers Downs handled $16.8 million, a decent pull for the small Oklahoma track. In 2020 the track saw a total handle from all sources reach $131 million. You read that correctly. The handle increased almost 700% thanks to the new swath of viewers who normally wouldn’t have even checked the entries at the track.
With Will Rogers playing such a major role in the bankroll of any pandemic horseplayer, there is an almost civic duty to playing the track that gave so many players something to do in the darkest days of the pandemic.
Tuesday Full Card Analysis
Will Rogers Downs Race 1
Post: 1:00 PM CT; Purse: $11,550 Maiden Claiming, 6 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #4 SECRET AVENGER (2-1) is a major player in today's race edging the field in several key handicapping factors including speed & form.
- #5 REINA DEL SUR (3-1) has Floyd Wethey Jr. in the saddle and could be a player here.
- #6 HEY SISSY (5-1) could get a perfect pace scenario today.
- #1 RUN A FIRE (7-2) is worth a look here given edges in record at the distance & pace numbers.
Will Rogers Downs Race 2
Post: 1:28 PM CT; Purse: $12,650 Claiming, 5 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #3 TWILITE LIASON (3-1) should be competitive today based on the horse's speed & race flow.
- #2 LIVINGONTULSATIME (5-2) is worth a look here given edges in connections & pace numbers.
- #4 FROSTED PRAYER (8-1) is in with a great chance based on the horse's race power rating which is top in the group.
- #1 THE HEAT IS ON (5-1) is ridden by Curtis Kimes who is one of the top jocks in the colony.
Will Rogers Downs Race 3
Post: 1:56 PM CT; Purse: $20,900 Allowance, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 5
- #3 RACE DAY REBAL (6-1) is in with a great chance based on the horse's connections & pace numbers.
- #2 BRODY'S STREAK (9-5) could get a perfect pace scenario today.
- #1 ROYALLY (2-1) merits consideration in this spot given edges in stamina & record at the distance.
- #4 SHAMAYIM (4-1) looks to have to have kept the best company in the previous starts.
Will Rogers Downs Race 4
Post: 2:24 PM CT; Purse: $12,000 Claiming, 5 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #2 LILLY BELLE (5-2) is in with a great chance based on the horse's stamina & race flow.
- #5 ICY CAPE (3-1) should be competitive today based on the horse's speed & form.
- #1 THEYCALLHERPINKY (7-2) merits consideration in this spot given edges in speed & power rating.
- #6 HUSHED (4-1) comes into the race signaling a big performance in the near future.
Will Rogers Downs Race 5
Post: 2:52 PM CT; Purse: $26,400 Allowance, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 6
- #6 BILLIE G (7-2) is worth a look here given edges in record at the distance & power rating.
- #1 GOSPEL LUCILLE (3-1) has a great shot in the race given the speed & class.
- #4 QUEENOFTHERAINBOW (4-1) has Young and Wethey Jr. behind him. That bodes well.
- #5 THE ONE FOR FUN (6-1) has to be respected based on the connections.
Will Rogers Downs Race 6
Post: 3:20 PM CT; Purse: $19,800 Maiden Special Weight, 6 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 6
- #6 ACELA EXPRESS (2-1) looks like a strong prospect edging the field in several key handicapping factors including connections & power rating.
- #1 SHE'S A PLAYER (6-1) will go out for the first start and could play a solid hand against a bunch that doesn’t know what it means to win.
- #4 BENDELENE (8-5) is a major player in today's race edging the field in several key handicapping factors including speed & race flow.
- #5 INCLUDE THE LOVE (6-1) should be in the right spot early to give this horse a chance to get the job done.
Will Rogers Downs Race 7
Post: 3:48 PM CT; Purse: $25,080 Allowance, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 10
- #10 YOU'REOBADBOY (7-2) looks formidable here given the edge in a number of key categories including speed & class.
- #9 OSWALD COBBLEPOT (3-1) is worth a look here given edges in record at the distance & pace numbers.
- #6 THAT'S SOMETHING (12-1) is a major player based on speed figures.
- #4 LEGIONARY (6-1) makes a bit of sense given previous tries at the mile distance.
Selections: 10-9-6-4 (Best Bet: #10 YOU'REOBADBOY)
Will Rogers Downs Race 8
Post: 4:16 PM CT; Purse: $9,000 Maiden Claiming, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #8 TIZ STRONG (2-1) is in with a major shot holding speed & class.
- #1 MAHOMEITE (12-1) has decent breeding for this quick sprint. This isn’t exactly the most regally bred crew.
- #5 UNBRIDLED GUY (5-2) could get a perfect pace scenario today.
- #3 JAMBI (6-1) has run against some ok competition.
Betting News Free Handicapping Tools
For more information on racing from all of the Will Rogers action, check out our free handicapping tools.
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
Tonight, the most pivotal game of the 2022 NBA Eastern Conference finals takes place in Boston, with the Miami Heat taking a 2-1 series lead into their matchup with the Celtics. In Game 3 on Saturday, the Heat took control early, outscoring the Celtics 39-18 in the first quarter and leading by as many as …