Turf Paradise Friday Analysis: Princess of Palms, Startac Stakes
Turf Paradise will once again be the only track running stakes races on Friday. The Princess of Palms and Startac Stakes will both be run on the turf.
Trouble in Paradise?
Turf Paradise had an interesting rough start to the racing week. On Monday the 4th race was too close to call. The #7 horse had rallied along the rail while the #6 made a wide sweeping run.
In the final strides as the horses were about to hit the wire, the camera person failed to follow the action and allowed the two to hit the wire out of frame. The video can be seen on the Turf Paradise website.
Eventually the result was handed down from the placing judges that the result of the affixed photo finish camera showed the #6 winning by the narrowest of margins.
Social Media Reaction
Understandably the racing public was upset about the error. Not showing the public the end of a race is problematic for a myriad of reasons. Couple that with so many of the scandals already swirling in the sport and the high takeout that must be overcome to be successful and you have a recipe for the tin foil hat brigade to come out in full force.
While the public reaction was overwhelmingly outrage, there was a bright spot. One of my favorite parts of horse racing is the accessibility to those involved.
As the twitterstorm exploded, track announcer Craig Braddick went out of his way to try and address as many of the complaints as possible. Many of his explanations fell on deaf ears, but it was the kind of transparency that so many players claim they want in the game.
Braddick even went so far as to get the official photo from the track and post it on social media channels to try and ease any concern about surreptitious activity. If tracks showed this same level of commitment to their betting public it would go a long way in restoring bettors faith in the integrity of the sport.
Turf Paradise Race 1- Quarter Horse Race
Post: 12:55 PM MT; Purse: $18,000 Maiden, 300 Yards on Dirt; Entries: 11
I am by no means a quarter horse expert. When handicapping these races I typically look at horses with the top speed index and the best connections. I firmly believe that quarter horses are near impossible to play without seeing horses pre-race, because of how sharp they need to be right from the gate latch.
- #1 LEW LEW BELLE (10-1)
- #9 SWYPE RIGHT (4-1)
- #2 K KARDASHIAN (8-1)
- #7 LC MATCHING FUNDS (3-1)
Turf Paradise Race 2
Post: 1:20 PM MT; Purse: $11,480 Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #1 SUBTLE RIDE (3-1) goes out for connections who know how to get the job done in the claiming ranks.
- #6 ORATORY GLORY (5-2) hits the board as much as any other horse in the race at the mile distance and comes into the race in great form.
- #3 LA ROSA DRIVE (6-1) has the top speed figures and will be forward early.
- #4 WINDI'S MOMENT (5-1) is another runner who seems to relish the 8 furlongs and shouldn’t be overlooked here.
Turf Paradise Race 3
Post: 1:52 PM MT; Purse: $15,120 Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #1 CHANTAL (6-5) comes into the race in top form and relishes this distance. This one looks a worthy favorite.
- #4 PARTYATTHECAPITAL (4-1) will got to the gate for top connections. With the jockey and trainer behind this one, victory is well within reach.
- #2 LADY JADE (6-1) has some of the top speed figures in the group and should be able to get a decent race flow to make some hay as a fringe contender.
- #7 GRAN MANNA (8-1) will be on the engine early and I wouldn’t be surprised if this one is at least able to hang on for a piece late.
Turf Paradise Race 4- Princess of Palms Stakes
Post: 2:25 PM MT; Purse: $60,000 Princess of Palms S., 7 1/2 Furlongs on Turf; Entries: 7
- #5 BOOZE RUNNER (3-1) looks really good here. With exemplary speed figures in this group, this one is running in top form and could pull the slight upset here.
- #6 MIMAJOON (5-2) should be in the right spot early to be in the mix at the end. This one has the top class numbers and that can at times be more valuable on the turf than speed figures.
- #7 OPAL CREEK (5-1) is a likely board hitter here based on the past attempts at this distance.
- #4 MISS RENO (9-2) should have the stamina to carry her speed over the 7 1/2 furlongs. The question for this one will be if there is enough speed to carry.
Selections: 5-6-7-4 (Best Bet: #5 BOOZE RUNNER)
Turf Paradise Race 5
Post: 2:57 PM MT; Purse: $15,960 Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #8 TIGER BY HIS TAIL (9-2) has the top speed figures and overall power rating to be successful here. A nice price on this one if it holds.
- #3 SURPRSINGLYPERFECT (4-1) has to be respected based on the barn’s success in the claiming game.
- #2 DOODLE TIME (5-1) could be cycling up to a big performance.
- #4 EL CHUMELITO (3-1) hasn’t done a lot wrong in recent starts and is just one of those hard knockers that’s always in with a shot.
Turf Paradise Race 6
Post: 3:30 PM MT; Purse: $26,600 Allowance Optional Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #1 LAUNCH PAD (5-2) comes into this one in top form and should be capable of putting up a big performance here.
- #8 TERRACOTTA SOLDIER (7-2) should have plenty under the hood to carry the 8 furlong distance.
- #3 ADD ON (10-1) is good at this distance and could get the ideal pace scenario. This runner comes out of good barn and that’s always dangerous at a price.
- #9 CIBERTRUCK (8-1) is an interesting outsider who I like to hit the board. It feels like the winner’s circle may be a reach for this one.
Turf Paradise Race 7
Post: 4:02 PM MT; Purse: $13,020 Starter Optional Claiming, 5 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #5 BELLA'S BACK (7-5) will be forward and on paper looks like the deserving heavy chalk.
- #6 BEAUTY BLACK (8-1) has been productive at 5 1/2 before and will look to do so again in this spot.
- #2 A DIME FOR ME (5-1) has run against some quality fields and may appreciate this group today.
- #4 BLUE CHIP BETTY (15-1) has speed figures to be a player in this spot and the price is right.
Turf Paradise Race 8- Startac Stakes
Post: 4:35 PM MT; Purse: $60,000 Startac S., 7 1/2 Furlongs on Turf; Entries: 9
- #8 BANGO FOR BUCKS (3-1) looks to be the class of this field and should hold a strong hand in the race.
- #7 JUAN BRAVO (5-1) goes out for rock solid connections in this spot.
- #3 HOYA PARANOYA (4-1) has the speed figures to compete here, but that can mean less on turf than on dirt.
- #9 NEXT JOURNEY (6-1) has the top in the money percentage in the field and could be a factor to at least hit the board.
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
2022 French Open Men’s & Women’s Singles Odds: Men’s favorites remain unscathed as first weekend wraps up
The 2022 French Open is underway at Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France, and we are already almost through the first week of play. Tomorrow, the remaining third-round matches will take place, after which the men’s and women’s singles draws will be down to their final 16 contenders. In both men’s and women’s singles, there …