Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants Betting Preview (July 29): Giants Good Value as Home Underdog in Rubber Match
With the MLB trade deadline tomorrow, the deals are getting bigger and bigger. The New York Yankees are bolstering their lineup with the addition of Texas Rangers slugger Joey Gallo, while the Oakland A’s have added Starling Marte from the Miami Marlins. Who’s next? Will Max Scherzer be on the move?
These two teams are in a pitched battle for the top spot in the NL and NL West and might be the next contenders to make a move. That Scherzer guy would look really good in either uniform.
So far this series is a split, with the Giants winning Tuesday and the Dodgers taking last night’s game. Today’s game is the last between these two teams until September when the Giants host the Dodgers again for three to close the season series.
Both teams have lots of games left against the San Diego Padres, who are lurking behind these two powerhouses.
MLB Betting Matchup: Los Angeles Dodgers (62-41) vs. San Francisco Giants (63-38), MLB Network, 3:45 PM ET
- Los Angeles Dodgers: David Price (4-0, 3.35 ERA)
- San Francisco Giants: Johnny Cueto (6-5, 4.09 ERA)
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants Betting Odds
- Moneyline: Los Angeles -130, San Francisco +110
- Total: OVER 8.5 (-115), UNDER 8.5 (-105)
- Run Line: Los Angeles -1.5 (+129), San Francisco +1.5 (-155)
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants Betting Consensus
- Moneyline: Los Angeles 40%, San Francisco 60%
- Total: OVER 20%, UNDER 80%
- Run line: Los Angeles 20%, San Francisco 80%
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants Betting Outlook
Dodgers are in a Real Fight
L.A. was the odds on favorite to repeat as World Series Champs…they might still be but any backers would feel a lot more comfortable if they could avoid the Wild Card one-game playoff. To do so it looks like they need reinforcements with SP Clayton Kershaw and OF Mookie Betts hurt and SP Trevor Bauer a complete question mark.
It is hard to believe that the Dodgers have not moved already. With Gallo and Marte gone, the available options to improve the lineup have narrowed. Doubling down on pitching is always a great idea too, even though they are tops in ERA and tops in quality starts. It might sound weird for the defending champs but I feel like they need a boost just so it doesn’t feel like they are falling behind.
Giants Can’t Rest on Early Accomplishments
The Giants have done so much this season but if they fade over the final couple of months it will all have been for not. Of the teams in the National League, they seem the least likely to sustain their high level of play. I am not buying that this team is one of the best power-hitting teams in the league, and the pitching beyond starter Kevin Gausman is still suspect to me.
The Giants are just 5-5 in their last 10, and a couple of those losses came against the Pittsburgh Pirates. That might not mean things are coming to an end, it just means they have to sustain a high level of play if they are going to hold onto their spot. You have to wonder what their internal confidence level is given that they have not made a move already.
David Price Home vs. Away
- Home: 2-0, 2.82 ERA, 22.1 IP, 23 Ks, 3 BBs
- Away: 2-0, 4.00 ERA, 18 IP, 16 Ks, 8 BBs
Johnny Cueto Home vs. Away
- Home: 5-3, 3.42 ERA, 52.2 IP, 47 Ks, 7 BBs
- Away: 1-2, 5.09 ERA, 35.1, 30 Ks, 10 BBs
These are a couple of very experienced arms. I thought David Price was done, but the Dodgers have managed him well. I really thought Cueto’s best days were behind him too. He has been pretty reliable for the Giants and is always battling. At home, he is definitely playable.
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants July 29 Best Bet
San Francisco Giants ML
With Cueto on the hill, we get the Giants at a nice plus value at home. While Price has looked alright in a few starts they have come against Arizona and Colorado. Colorado tagged him for a couple of homers and that was not at Coors Field, but at Dodger Stadium. This one should have been priced even, so the Giants are the play.
MLB Betting Matchups: Thursday, July 29
MLB Betting Matchup: Washington Nationals vs. Philadelphia Phillies, NBC Sports Philadelphia, 12:05 PM
- Washington Nationals: TBD
- Philadelphia Phillies: Zach Wheeler (8-5, 2.37 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Washington Nationals vs. Philadelphia Phillies, NBC Sports Philadelphia, Game 2
- Washington Nationals: TBD
- Philadelphia Phillies: Vince Velasquez (3-5, 5.54 ERA)
Washington Nationals vs. Philadelphia Phillies July 29 MLB Betting Matchup: Picks, Odds, Stats and More
MLB Betting Matchup: Atlanta Braves vs. New York Mets, MLB Network, 12:10 PM ET
- Atlanta Braves: Drew Smyly (7-3, 4.30 ERA)
- New York Mets: Taijuan Walker (7-4, 3.43 ERA
MLB Betting Matchup: New York Yankees vs. Tampa Bay Rays, Bally Sports South, 1:10 PM ET
- New York Yankees: Gerrit Cole (10-5, 2.74 ERA)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Luis Patino (1-2, 5.26 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals, Bally Sports Kansas City, 2:10 PM ET
- Chicago White Sox: Carlos Rodon (8-4, 2.24 ERA)
- Kansas City Royals: Carlos Hernandez (1-1, 5.72 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago Cubs, Marquee Sports Network, 2:20 PM ET
- Cincinnati Reds: Luis Castillo (4-10, 4.20 ERA)
- Chicago Cubs: Alex Mills (4-3, 4.55 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Milwaukee Brewers vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, MLB Network, 7:05 PM
- Milwaukee Brewers: Freddy Peralta (7-3, 2.29 ERA)
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Chad Kuhl (3-5, 4.38 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Baltimore Orioles vs. Detroit Tigers, Bally Sports Detroit, 7:10 PM
- Baltimore Orioles: Alexander Wells (1-0, 4.35 ERA)
- Detroit Tigers: Casey Mize (5-5, 3.63 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox, MLB Network, 7:10 PM ET
- Toronto Blue Jays: Hyun-Jin Ryu (9-5, 3.44 ERA)
- Boston Red Sox: Eduardo Rodriguez (7-5, 5.23 ERA)
MLB Betting Matchup: Oakland A’s vs. Los Angeles Angels, Bally Sports West, 9:38 PM ET
- Oakland A’s: Frankie Montas (8-8, 4.34 ERA)
- Los Angeles Angels: TBD
MLB Betting Matchup: Colorado Rockies vs. San Diego Padres, MLB Network, 10:10 PM ET
- Colorado Rockies: Kyle Freeland (1-5, 4.85 ERA)
- San Diego Padres: Joe Musgrove (6-7, 3.13 ERA)
More Articles You Might like
Latest on Betting News
The Colts and Titans battled it out all season long for the AFC South title last season. A Titans win this afternoon would deal a big blow to 0-2 Indy’s hopes this season. Can they win with a banged-up Carson Wentz, or will Derrick Henry and the Titans blow them away?